Bibury Court 4200

Bibury, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

Bibury Court is now a well-known country house hotel, standing in 2.5 hectares of ornamental gardens. The site lies alongside the River Coln and commands a view down the river valley.

History

The house was first created in the late-16th century. There were a number of further additions and alterations, notably in 1633 and in 1968, when the house was converted to a hotel. In the 1920s there is mention of lawns, a lily pool and a Dutch garden.

Visitor Facilities

The site is a hotel, open to guests.

Terrain

Undulating
Features
  • Tudor Mansion (featured building)
  • Description: Tudor Mansion built in late 16th century. Later additions in 1633, 18th century and 19th centuries.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Riverside Walk
  • Description: Walks along the River Coln.
  • Earthwork
  • Description: The remains of a Roman villa in woodland on the site.
  • Dovecote
  • Description: Although not strictly part of the site itself, a medieval dovecote can be found opposite the farm gates of Bibury Court.
Specimen Tree, Orchard
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is a hotel, open to guests.

Directions

http://www.biburycourt.com/map-directions-of-bibury-court-hotel.html
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bibury
History

Detailed History

The house is a good example of a late-16th century Tudor mansion of gabled construction. The oldest part of the building is at the north end. The main central portion was built in 1633 by Sir Thomas Sackville, with other additions constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries. Further conversions and building work took place in the 20th century, especially when the building became a hotel in 1968.

The site is alongside the River Coln and commands a view down the river valley. The remains of a Roman villa are to be found in woodland which covers part of the site. Later the whole area became the property of the Abbey of Osney, which took control of the existing church in 1130.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

    References

    References

    Contributors

    • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

    • Mary Blumer

      1