Paddington Green 8844

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

This is a remnant of the original village green with origins in the ancient villages of Paddington and Lillestone.

History

Paddington Green is an unusually early public open space; in 1753 it was enclosed by the owner of Paddington House to serve as an ornament to the parish, and in 1779 was vested in 3 trustees for the benefit of the parish. Improvements were made in the early C19th but by 1851 it had declined and was closed for public recreation. It re-opened to the public in 1865, following a legacy for its maintenance by Marion Mayne. A statue of the actress Sarah Siddons was erected here in 1897.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open from 8am - dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open from 8am - dusk.

Directions

Tube: Edgware Road (Bakerloo, Circle, Hammersmith & Fulham), Warwick Avenue (Bakerloo). Bus: 18
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust