Orielton (also known as Orielton Field Centre)2514

Pembrokeshire, Wales

Brief Description

The parkland was extant in the early-19th century, but the site is probably earlier. It contains a duck decoy lake and a gazebo or belvedere, possibly mid-17th century in date but built on earlier foundations. There are also plantations, woodlands, the remains of a 19th-century Japanese garden, and a walled garden.

History

The second manor was built on the site in 1656 for Hugh Owen.

Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: This is at least the third mansion on the site, and was re-modelled in 1970.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: It may date to the 16th, 17th or 18th century, and is a six-sided structure.
  • Stable Block
  • Description: Stables and yard.
  • Lake
  • Description: There were three ornamental lakes, two of which are now silted up.
  • Tower
  • Description: Three-storey roofless tower, possibly used as a gazebo and banqueting house.
  • Planting
  • Description: The American Gardens.
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Japanese Garden.
Ha-ha, Drive
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Hundleton
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Field Studies Council

    Preston Montford, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY4 1HW
References

References