Lamphey Palace 2000

Pembroke, Wales

Brief Description

The site includes major elements of the landscaping scheme surrounding a medieval bishop's palace. There is a grand, water-flanked approach, a well-preserved and elaborate fishpond complex and a large park dating from before 1280.

History

The park and the earliest structures (including the old hall) probably date from the 13th century.Lamphey Lodge and a walled deer park were formed within the medieval park in 1818. In 1823 further landscaping involved the conversion of the palace precinct into an elaborate garden, traces of which remain. There was also further landscaping around it, most of which remains.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open between 10 am and 4 pm throughout the year, though the visitor centre may be closed in the winter. See: http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/daysout/lampheybishopspalace/visitorinformation?lang=en
Features
  • Palace (featured building)
  • Description: The old hall is thought to be the earliest surviving structure, dating from the 13th century. There is documentary evidence of the park by 1280.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Park Wall
  • Description: Enclosing walls of the medieval park, partly replaced in the early-19th century.
  • Fishpond
  • Description: There are two ponds, as well as others which are now silted.
  • Approach
  • Description: A grand, water-flanked approach.
Stream, Ornamental Bridge
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open between 10 am and 4 pm throughout the year, though the visitor centre may be closed in the winter. See: http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/daysout/lampheybishopspalace/visitorinformation?lang=en

Directions

The site is off the A4139 between Tenby and Pembroke.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Lamphey
History

Period

  • Medieval
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • CADW

    Plas Carew, Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed, Parc Nantgarw, CF15 7QQ
References

References