The current principal building is a post-dissolution farm built upon the site of Notley Abbey. The house is set in semi-formal grounds containing earthworks possibly relating to the original abbey outbuildings.The site is now used as a commercially-run wedding venue. The site may be viewed from an adjacent public footpath. Visits can also be arranged by prior appointment. Please telephone 0845 130 9966 (Sam Cutmore-Scott).
Notley Abbey was founded in around 1160, with structural additions to the original abbey being made up to the 16th century.After the dissolution, parts of the abbey were incorporated into a new farm building with grounds including a dovecote, fish ponds and a kitchen garden. The south wing of the house was demolished in the 18th century and rebuilt as a barn.
- Description: River Thame.
- Description: Stone barn, originally the monks' refectory.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsThe site is between Thame and Aylesbury.
- Long Crendon
- Tudor (1485-1603)
Official WebsiteClick Here