Serle's House 5053

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has a mid-18th-century house and a Memorial Garden which was laid out in 1952 to commemorate all those from the Regiment who were killed in the service of their country. The garden is planted with roses. The principal building is now a Regimental Museum.

History

Serle's House was built about 1740 for William Sheldon and bought by John Serle in 1781. It was later sold to the Government and became the Headquarters of the Royal Hampshire Regiment. After World War 2 the area was re-designed as a Garden of Remembrance.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open during the week from 10am until 4pm. At weekends and public holidays, the site is open from 12pm-4pm. Admission is free.

Detailed Description

There are modern red brick walls with stone coping and piers with moulded caps and wrought iron gates with an overthrow. These all have an 18th-century appearance to match the house. Hampshire County Council bought Serle's House in 2001. It now houses the Regimental Museum.

The garden was replanted and re-turfed through a number of charitable grants at the end of 2018, and features roses in the regimental colours, as well as a carved stone memorial and flagpole.

Features
  • Ironwork
  • Description: Wrought iron gates.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Museum (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: A tree from Ploegsteert Wood
  • Earliest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: The garden was planted with rose trees from the battlefield of Minden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Gate Piers
  • Description: Piers with moulded caps.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open during the week from 10am until 4pm. At weekends and public holidays, the site is open from 12pm-4pm. Admission is free.

History

Detailed History

Serle's House was built about 1740 for William Sheldon and bought by John Serle in 1781. It was used as the Headquarters for the South Hampshire Militia and then sold to the Government in 1796. It became the Headquarters of the Royal Hampshire Regiment. After World War 2 the area was re-designed as a Garden of Remembrance, the principal architect being Colonel F R Sawyer. The garden was planted with rose trees from the battlefield of Minden and a tree from Ploegsteert Wood in Flanders, places memorable in the history of the regiment. Various plants have been donated by those who have served in the Regiment and their relatives.

Contact

Telephone

01962 863658

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Hampshire County Council

    The Castle, Winchester, SO23 8ZB
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust