Newfield (also known as Garrigs, Galrigs, Garrigis, Galrix, Garrickis)3997

Dundonald, Scotland

Brief Description

The basic structure of the 18th-century designed landscape survives at Newfield. The line of a distinctive avenue approach remains partly as a track.

History

The old name of Garrigs was changed to Newfield in about 1725. The 18th-century designed landscape consisted of tree-lined parks divided by cross avenues and belts of woodland. By the mid-19th century there was a long straight approach from the south-east, leading to the house, outbuildings and walled garden.

Features
  • Farm (featured building)
  • Description: The house was demolished in 1964 but the home farm, Newfield Mains survives.
  • Avenue
  • Description: The line of a distinctive avenue approach remains partly as a track.
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References