The A1 Barnet Bypass bisected the site in 1927. Part became Mill Hill Golf Club, and the rest is now known as Moat Mount Open Space, which contains Leg of Mutton Pond. and on the other side of the A1, Scratchwood Open Space.
This area was once part of the ancient Middlesex Forest. In 1756 the manorial lands were purchased and a mansion built on the high ground, although a moat predates this. In 1866 the 400 hectare estate was purchased by Edward William Cox, who added considerably to the estate, and rebuilt the house. What is now Moat Mount was laid out as parkland with ornamental lake, exotic plantings and grassy slopes; Scratchwood was used for rearing game and sport. Part of the estate was sold in 1906, the remainder purchased largely by Hendon UDC in 1923 after the death of Cox's son.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted (car park closes dusk).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted (car park closes dusk).
DirectionsRail: Elstree & Boreham Wood, Mill Hill Broadway then bus. Tube: High Barnet, Totteridge & Whetstone, Edgware (Northern) then bus. Bus: 107, 251, 292, 614, 797, 306.
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust