Mawley Hall 2243

Cleobury Mortimer, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

The house at Mawley was built in 1730 with a contemporary landscape park. The gardens were laid out in the 1960s.

History

Mawley Hall and its grounds were created by the Blount family in the mid-18th century. The current gardens are of the 1960s.

Visitor Facilities

Open to the public on selected days only or by appointment.

http://www.mawley.com/

Detailed Description

A group of architectural drawings in private hands suggests that in the mid- to late 18th century the Blounts were contemplating improvements to the surrounds of Mawley Hall, but it is uncertain how far these were implemented.

Drawings include a landscaping scheme (by a Mr Bond, n.d.), as well as a lodge and gateway, a classical greenhouse, an orangery, and a hothouse by the landscape gardener and architect John Davenport. Other drawings show further ideas, some from Walter Blount himself, for 'a greenhouse made from the library bookcase,' an ice-house and railing, ha-has, improvements of Lemp Brook bridge, and additional fences and gates, especially to the sheep lawn.

The extent of the park in the early 19th century seems to have persisted at least as late as 1883, although the north lodge had not yet been added by this time. In the mid and later 19th century the park contained a herd of about 100 fallow deer.

In the 1960s and 1970s, the new owners redesigned the gardens. Elements included a parterre garden to the west front; a temple (1967); an octagonal folly (1973); and a rhododendron avenue leading from the east front to an obelisk (1977).

Features
  • Parterre
  • Description: There is a parterre garden to the west front of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Mawley Hall is a red brick hall of nine by seven bays, accented with sandstone dressings. There are giant Tuscan pilasters at the angles, and a steep three-bay pediment over the centre. The exterior is generally restrained in character.The interior is elaborate, and was designed with 'imagination, originality, and...without regard to cost.' It is probably the finest Baroque interior in Shropshire. Of particular note are The Hall, The Oak Drawing Room, The Inlaid Drawing Room and The Dining Room. In 1771, when it was owned by Sir Walter Blount, it is recorded that 'every room is carved in the most expensive taste .... Lady Blount .... seems to have everything very clever, and a thousand knick-knacks from abroad, as one generally sees in these Catholic families.'
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Folly
  • Description: There is an octagonal folly in the grounds.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: There is a rhododendron avenue leading across the east front of the house to an obelisk.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Obelisk
  • Description: There is an obelisk at one end of the rhododendron avenue.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Open to the public on selected days only or by appointment.

http://www.mawley.com/

Directions

Off the A4117, east of Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cleobury Mortimer
History

Detailed History

Mawley Hall was built by Francis Smith of Warwick for the Sir Edward Blount, head of a prominent Catholic family, around 1730. In 1771, when it was owned by Sir Walter Blount, it was clearly a lavishly and expensively furnished house. Contemporary architectural drawings of the 1760s-1780s show plans to improve the grounds extensively, but it is uncertain how far these plans were carried out. The park was in existence throughout the 19th century, and one of the lodges was built after 1883. In 1964 Mawley Hall was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Galliers-Pratt, who proceeded to redesign the gardens.

Associated People
References

References