Cleobury Mortimer Park (1) 5153

Cleobury Mortimer, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

This was a medieval deer park, which is now lost.

History

The deer park was in existence by 1301, and was kept up until the 17th century, when land began to be leased out. In 1651, when the park was only valued for timber and underwood, it was probably no longer used as a deer park.

History

Detailed History

Cleobury Mortimer Park was in existence by 1301, when Edmund Mortimer had a deer park here. The park lay in the southeast corner of the parish, and included the areas of the still extant Nailing, Cleobury, and Lodge Coppices. It must have held a great number of deer, as it is recorded in 1322 that 280 of them were stolen. By 1331, there was a separate rabbit warren and a lodge.

The park was still kept up in 1622, when part of the park pale was renewed. However, since 1606, parcels of the park were leased out. In 1651, when the park was only valued for timber and underwood, it was probably no longer used as a deer park.

References

References