Kinlet Hall and Park 6324

Kinlet, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

There was originally a medieval deerpark at Kinlet, but the grounds were redesigned as part of a country estate in the 18th century.

History

A manor and deerpark(s) are known to have existed at Kinlet in the late 13th- and early 14th-centuries. The grounds around Kinlet Hall were replanted and redesigned repeatedly throughout the 18th century.

Detailed Description

A manor and deerpark(s) are known to have existed at Kinlet in the late 13th- and early 14th-centuries. The grounds around Kinlet Hall were replanted and redesigned repeatedly throughout the 18th century.

Historically, most of the land within the parish of Kinlet, including the Church and the Hall itself has been the property of the local nobility (or Squiers), including the Childe, Blount, and Lacon families, dating back to the Domesday Book.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The medieval hall was rebuilt between 1727 and 1729 by Francis Smith. It was of brick with stone dressings, and the main block comprised seven by seven bays.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Approach
  • Description: Multiple approaches, developing over time.
Avenue
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kinlet
History

Detailed History

From 1295 there was at least one deer park at Kinlet, and in 1308 'Wopark' and 'Old Park' were mentioned. Presumably they lay in the later area of the park, south-west of the Hall.

Between 1727 and 1729 the Hall was rebuilt (by Francis Smith) in brick with stone dressings. Rocque's Map of Shropshire of 1752, although small in scale, indicates extensive formal plantings, around the Hall, especially to the east or north-east where they extended to meet an approach road from Highley. The main approach was from the south, and was apparently completely straight. It was probably the southernmost part of that drive which survived in 1883 as a short ride near Oak Cottage, east of Brook's Coppice. That southern approach bisected the park, which extended (roughly) north to the Hall and church, east to Bardley Court, south to the road bounding Brook's Coppice, and east to the road between Bradley and Kinlet vicarage, which marked the eastern corner of the park.

By 1808, the southern and eastern approaches had been done away with and a new approach contrived from the south-east from opposite an inn (in 1883 the Eagle and Star). It would seem likely that the period between 1752 and 1808 in fact saw a comprehensive reworking of the Hall's surrounds, with formal being supplanted by informal. By 1827 Kinlet's grounds had been extended north to the parish boundary.

Later-19th-century accounts of the park give widely varying acreages for it, although they do consistently note the quality of the estate's woodland. A 'magnificent avenue' stretching across the grounds was mentioned in 1851.

References

References