The Mansion House at Stone originally had a rectangular walled garden with a terrace, lawns, shrubberies, and a kitchen garden with glasshouses and fruit wall. The garden is now lost.
The town house was built in 1778 for William Bill of Farley.
Little remains of the garden, though some detail can be extracted from a viewing of the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. This shows a rectangular, walled garden to the west and north of the house.The garden incorporates a terrace with vases.There are also lawns and shrubberies.
Designed walkways lead to a kitchen garden.This contains large glasshouses on a south-facing, curved fruit wall of 10 bays.Most of the wall was demolished in 1976.Three bays remain in a perilous state. Compare with Old Hall, Stone, which also has a curved fruit wall.
- Walled Garden
- Fruit-growing Wall
- Description: Three bays of a curved fruit wall remain.
- Town House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
This town house was built in 1778 for William Bill of Farley.Farley was agent to both Earl Gower at Trentham (from whom he bought the land) and Earl Granville of Stone. Most of the garden was sold for building in 1976.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust