Manor Cottage 2212

Bath, England

Pgds 20080203 200457 Manor Cottage Steps

Brief Description

Manor Cottage has the fragment of an early-17th century terraced garden of a former manor (see Claverton Manor).

History

Claverton Manor was begun in about 1580 and completed in 1625. In 1816 the manor was bought by John Vivian, who demolished it shortly afterwards. Claverton Manor (which replaced the old house) was begun in 1820 on a new site.

Detailed Description

The garden is situated in the village of Claverton overlooking the scenic Limpley Stoke valley. The early 17th century stone features are all that remains of the garden of the original Claverton Manor. The entrance to the garden and the cottage is through the iron gates on the eastern wall. These lead into the eastern court which is rough pasture. A stone path leads to the first flight of steps onto the lower terrace. This terrace is grassed with a flower bed in the northern half. The upper terrace is also mainly grass. The cottage is in the north-east corner. The garden is overlooked by St. Mary's church to the south-west and Manor Farm to the north.

The site is in good condition, although minimal work is done in the garden.

Features
  • Manor Cottage (featured building)
  • Description: The present manor cottage is all that remains of the original Claverton Manor. A drawing of 1790 shows it as a single-storey service building (possibly a dairy) attached to the main building. Subsequently, in the early-mid 19th century, it has had a porch and an upper floor added.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: The garden walls enclose an outer eastern court and two terraces at the west end. The east court is approximately 55 metres x 55 metres. The north and south walls are tall rubble walls. The south one is stepped up at intervals. The north one is completed at the east end by the rear of Manor Farmhouse and its outbuildings. The eastern walls of the outer court and of the westernmost terrace are surrounded by a balustrade with pierced strapwork panels. In the centre of the easternmost wall is a pair of gatepiers and later iron gates.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Balustrade
  • Description: The eastern walls of the outer court and of the westernmost terrace are surrounded by a balustrade with pierced strapwork panels. In the centre of the easternmost wall is a pair of gatepiers and later iron gates.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Steps
  • Description: The two terraces are divided by two flights of steps. The lower one curves outwards.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: The two terraces run north-south and are approximately 55 metres x 9 metres.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Claverton
History

Detailed History

Claverton Manor was begun in about 1580 and completed in 1625. It was built by William Basset II, the M.P. for Bath and a Royalist soldier. In 1684, the manor and gardens took up 12 acres and included a bowling green.

In 1714, the manor was bought by Dr. William Skrine, a fashionable Bath physician. In 1758, Skrine's son sold the house to Ralph Allen. In 1816 the manor was bought by John Vivian, who demolished it shortly afterwards. When George Vivian inherited the estate from his father in 1828 he restored the garden balustrading. Manor Cottage is all that remains of the manor house. The present Claverton Manor (which now houses the American museum) was begun in 1820. It was built on the hill overlooking Claverton village, whereas the original manor was in the village itself.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References