Manchester Botanical and Horticultural Society 6472

Trafford, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

This site had botanical and horticultural gardens. The gardens were developed on land purchased by the Botanical and Horticultural Society and opened in 1831. Sub-tropical plants were grown in glasshouses and the gardens became a fashionable resort in the mid-19th-century. The site was extended to the railway line, bridging Talbot Road and extending as far as Warwick Road. The main building was cross-shaped, 300 metres long, with a dome and was designed by the architects Maxwell and Tuke who also designed the Blackpool Tower. The site is now lost. The area has been developed as the White City Stadium.

History

The gardens were developed on land purchased by the Botanical and Horticultural Society and opened in 1831.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit