Ordsall Park 6247

Salford, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Ordsall Park is a public park lying between Park Road and Hulton Street. The park was developed on fifteen acres of land purchased from Lord Egerton of Tatton and was opened in 1877. The rectangular site was divided into roughly two equal areas by an axial path. To the east of the path there was a gymnasium, to the west a lake and a series of walks leading from a main circular area. Much of the original layout is still apparent although the lake has gone. The park has been extended to the north.

History

The park was one of three developed by the Corporation in the third quarter of the 19th century. It was opened after the completion of the other two of the group, Broughton and Seedley (see separate entries).

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.salford.gov.uk/leisure/parks/parksinsalford/publicparks/parks-or.htm
Features
  • Path
  • Description: The rectangular site was divided into roughly two equal areas by an axial path.
Bowling Green
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.salford.gov.uk/leisure/parks/parksinsalford/publicparks/parks-or.htm
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit