Ludford Park 5754

Ludford, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Ludford House lies immediately south of Ludlow, on the south bank of the River Teme. The house is of Elizabethan or Jacobean date, and was altered in the later 17th and 18th centuries. Ludford House lay just outside the north-east corner of the walled Ludford park, which was present in the 18th century, and still stocked with deer at the end of the 19th century. There were gardens to the south of the house in 1891.

History

Ludford House was first built in the early 17th century, but there is no evidence of the park and grounds until 1752. The park was still stocked with deer in 1891. It was said in 1891 that the gardens to the south of the house had been recently improved.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: Ludford House lies just south of the church, with the main range facing it. This range once featured the original principal entrance and the hall. The ground floor of the main range is of stone, the upper floor timber-framed. The timber work on the north side indicates a late-Elizabethan or Jacobean date. The west range is entirely of stone and accentuated with four large chimneybreasts and stacks. The house is now approached from the west through an archway and service courtyard. The east front of the house was remodelled in the 18th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Park Wall
  • Description: There was a wall enclosing Ludford Park on a map of 1752.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ludford
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References