Lodge Farm, Alveston 6955

Bristol, England

Brief Description

Lodge Farm lies at the centre of a historic landscape, which was once part of the Royal Forest of Alveston. The deer park remained until at least 1496. The house itself may include the 'stand' or tower from which spectators could watch the chase.


The Royal Forest of Alveston was enclosed by a hedge before the reign of Henry II (1154-1189). It is thought that Lodge Farm was at the centre of the medieval park. The park is almost certainly also referred to by Leland in his mid 16th century 'Itinerary', who passed by it when travelling from Iron Acton to Thornbury. 'From Acton to Thorne', he' rote, '3 myles or more by enclosed ground and well woodyd'.

Detailed Description

Evidence on the ground and on the map suggests that the park was bounded to the north by Shellards Lane, to the east by the lane from Earthcott Green to Itchington, to the south by the B4427 and to the west by the curving footpath which runs from Old St. Helen's Church via the Loans to the junction of Shellard's Lane and Dodsmoor Lane.

A short stretch of the western boundary was illustrated in J. Kip's engraving 'Alveston the Seat of Edward Hill Esq.', published in Sir Robert Atkyns' 'The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire'. Atkyns wrote (p.111) 'This manor was in the crown in the reign of King Henry the Third, who reserved his park in Alveston, when the forest of Kingswood was disforested.'

  • Farmhouse (featured building)
  • Description: Lodge Farm is heavily cement rendered, ivy covered and has relatively recently been fitted with modern glazing, so it is not easy to guess at its date from the outside. The northern end of the house however is square and rises to a considerable height above the rest of the roofline. As such it is very likely to be part or the whole of the ancient deer-park 'stand'.
  • Park Pale
  • Description: The demarkation of the park pale may be traced through mapping evidence.


  • Medieval (1066-1540)



  • Sir George White Bt., F.S.A.