Lloyd House 2130

Lower Penn, England, Staffordshire, South Staffordshire

Brief Description

Lloyd House has the remains of a late 18th- to early 19th century park layout. Two walled gardens, pleasure grounds, a summerhouse and icehouse remain.

History

John Marsh bought the property known as the Lloyd, in 1771, and the house dates from this period. The grounds, with lodge, drive, and small park, were laid out between 1770 and 1830.

Detailed Description

The house is situated on rising ground, facing south-west over parkland. The grounds included a lodge, drive, small park and pond to the south, and a wood and kitchen garden to the north of the house.

There are two walled gardens north-east of the house, but these are now overgrown. Pleasure grounds lie to the north-west, and are also densely overgrown. A 19th-century summerhouse is now derelict, and an icehouse south-west of the house remains in poor condition. The grounds themselves incorporate a good serpentine approach, but much of the park has been ploughed out, while other areas were lost when road-widening began along the A449, which runs through the site.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: John Marsh bought the property known as the Lloyd in 1771, and the house dates from this period.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Gate Lodge, Drive, Pond, Kitchen Garden
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Lower Penn
History

Detailed History

The property, originally known as the Lloyd, was purchased in 1771 by John Marsh. The house dates from this period, and the grounds were laid out between 1770 and 1830.

The Marsh family married into the notable Shaw-Hellier family.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
References

References