Bantock Park 6992

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England

Brief Description

Bantock Park is a municipal park. Its layout is fairly formal to the eastern side, with elements such as a Dutch Garden and Tennis Court Garden. The western part of the park has a more naturalistic layout, featuring trees, hedgerows and a nature trail. The house is now a museum.

History

Bantock House dates from the 1730s, with a front range of the 1820s and alterations of the 1890s. The remains of the formal gardens date from around 1886. Alderman Albert Baldwin Bantock died in 1938, and gifted Merridale House and its grounds to the Corporation of Wolverhampton. The site, now known as Bantock Park, was opened to the public on April 22, 1948.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site, open daily from 7am until dusk.
Features
  • Museum (featured building)
  • Description: The house was built as New Merridale Farm some time between 1734 and 1788. It was extensively re-modelled in the late-19th century. After wartime military use, the house was opened as a mueum in 1948.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: The Dutch Garden, recently restored.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: The Woodland Garden contained a pond and paths. This area was grassed over in 1997, but the paths and pond have now been restored.
  • Walk
  • Description: Nature trail.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site, open daily from 7am until dusk.
Contact

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Wolverhampton City Council

    Civic Centre, St. Peter's Square, Wolverhampton, WV1 1SH
References

References

Contributors

  • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust