Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb 8258

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The two churches face each other on the horizontal axis of the square, with the Institute centrally on the northern side. Prior to 1950 tennis courts were constructed on the western perimeter above the orchard.

History

Central Square was to be the focal point of Dame Henrietta Barnett's Hampstead Garden Suburb, the site selected for its height and views; its design underwent numerous revisions. Raymond Unwin's first design for the suburb (February 1905) had communal buildings including a church, chapel, hall, library and shops; the site of the square was to be levelled and extended to the north. Unwin and Edwin Lutyens, appointed architect in May 1906, proposed a more formal plan in 1906-7; this and a third scheme by Lutyens did not meet with Mrs Barnett's approval. The final plan of 1911 of Central Square as built is a variant on Lutyens' plan for a rectangle broken up into four clearly articulated spaces each defined by a double row of trees and a lily pond.

Visitor Facilities

Opening is unrestricted.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening is unrestricted.

Directions

Tube: Golders Green (Northern) then bus. Bus H2, 13, 26, 82, 102, 260.
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People

People associated to Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb

References

References