Leverhulme Park 6078

Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

This is an irregular site with the hall in a central position. The entrance is from Long Lane. The hall is surrounded by woodland planting with a system of walks along Bradshaw Bank to the west of the site.The park has several small ponds, probably the remains of field ponds incorporated into the park. The site was extended to the north-west by 1895. It was donated to the Local Authority in 1917 by Lord Leverhulme on condition that part of the land was used 'for the pursuit of organised athletics'.

History

This was the site of Bradshaw Hall in 1850 and Darcy Lever Hall in 1895. The hall had grounds in the park. The site is bounded by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway to the south, Bradshaw Brook to the west, Long Lane to the east and open fields to the north. Oaken Bottom Mill lies to the north-west of the park boundary.

Visitor Facilities

The site is now a sports and community centre. Please see: http://www.bolton.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=367,128833&_dad=portal92&_schema=PORTAL92
Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The hall is now demolished.
  • Pond
  • Description: The park has several small ponds, probably the remains of field ponds incorporated into the park.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is now a sports and community centre. Please see: http://www.bolton.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=367,128833&_dad=portal92&_schema=PORTAL92
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit