Darley Hall 4668

Bolton, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

The early-19th-century Darley Hall sat within extensive grounds of about 300 acres and had a kitchen garden.

History

The estate was bought in the late-18th-century by Benjamin Rawson. The hall was built around 1806. By the late 19th century much of the site had been developed for housing, and a cemetery and brickworks established within the park.

Detailed Description

The hall and park are bounded by the River Croal to the north and east, Bolton Road to the west and cotton mills and encroaching development to the south. There are reservoirs to the north and possibly within the original boundary of the park. The Manchester to Bolton railway line cuts through the south-west section of the park. There is an entrance lodge on the Bury Road.

The hall is in the centre of the extensive grounds with a detached kitchen garden to the south-west. By the late-19th-century the whole of the site to the west of the railway line had been developed for housing and a cemetery and brick works had been established within the park.

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The hall was built around 1806 and the grounds occupied what was called the Farnworth and Kearsley estates. The hall has been demolished but the cemetery and open space still survives.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Farnworth
History

Detailed History

The Hall was built around 1806 and the grounds occupied what was called the Farnworth and Kearsley estates, altogether about 300 acres in size. The estate was bought in the late 18th century by Banjamin Rawson, a chemical manufacturer of Farnworth. By the late-19th-century the whole of the site to the west of the railway line had been developed for housing, and a cemetery and brickworks had been established within the park.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit