Leawood House 4364

Exeter, West Devon, Devon, England

Brief Description

Stockdale described the house as 'an ancient mansion surrounded by extensive woods and which form a very striking feature in the scenery of this part of the county.' The 18th-century parkland survives unspoilt.

History

The stables are dated 1711. It is presumed that the park was laid out before this.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The plain early Georgian front range conceals a 17th-century house with two storey wings flanking a courtyard.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The stables dated 1711 have the Calmady arms.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Leawood Lodge
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Leawood Mill.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bridestowe
History

Detailed History

Leawood House is the manor house of the Calmady and Shilstone families set in an 18th century park. The plain early Georgian front range conceals a 17th-century house with two storey wings flanking a courtyard.

White (1850) noted that it was a 'fine old mansion' while Stockdale described it as 'an ancient mansion surrounded by extensive woods and which form a very striking feature in the scenery of this part of the county.' The 18th-century parkland survives unspoilt. The stables dated 1711 have the Calmady arms.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References