Lifton Park 4367

West Devon, England, Devon, West Devon

Brief Description

The large Gothic mansion was built in 1805 for William Arundel and is now largely derelict apart from the eight bay west entrance wing. The arboretum was laid out at the time and much still remains. Rockeries and formal seating areas still exist within the woodland.

Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The large Gothic mansion was built in 1805 for William Arundel and is now largely derelict apart from the eight bay west entrance wing.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: The entrances to Lifton Park are marked by decorative Victorian Lodges.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Lifton
History

Detailed History

The entrances to Lifton Park are marked by decorative Victorian Lodges, Home Park and South Lodge. The large Gothic mansion was built in 1805 for William Arundel and is now largely derelict apart from the eight bay west entrance wing. The arboretum was laid out at the time and much still remains. Rockeries and formal seating areas still exist within the woodland.

White (1850) noted '...a handsome seat....encompassed by about 300 acres of lawn and woods, stretching to the Tamar valley and commanding delightful views'. Stockdale wrote '...very delightfully situated and commands an interesting prospect of the town of Launceston with its ancient castle, indeed no expense seems to have been spared to render the surrounding plantations containing about 8000 acres'.

Lifton Park is now in separate ownership and is shown on the 1907 Ordnance Survey as having parkland with a fishpond south of the house, a rookery to the west, two pheasantries and Lifton Wood containing rides and walks to the north.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References