Langton Hall 2014

Market Harborough, England, Leicestershire, Harborough

Brief Description

Langton Hall has 18th-century parkland of 20 hectares including avenues, with central gardens of 4 hectares. The estate is now in divided ownership and the walled garden has been developed for housing.

History

Thomas Staveley (died 1631) is believed to have rebuilt the Hall in the early-17th century.

Terrain

The site is on a low ridge looking south across a low and wide valley.

Detailed Description

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list

A landscape park with avenues, probably of 18th-century date, and gardens associated with a country house.

DESCRIPTION

LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING

Langton Hall lies west of the villages of Church Langton and East Langton, on a low ridge looking south across a low and wide valley occupied by a tributary of the River Welland. The Hall's grounds are bounded to the south by the West Langton Road which leads to Kibworth Beauchamp, 4km to the west. Kibworth Beauchamp itself stands on the A6, 15km south-east of Leicester. To the east the park is bounded by the minor road to Church Langton. Otherwise the park boundary follows field edges. There is now no village at West Langton, and earthworks west of Langton Hall Farm, 400m south-east of the Hall, appear to mark settlement remains. The area here registered is 40ha.

ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES

The Hall's east forecourt is approached via a short drive off the West Langton Road. The brick gate splay is mid C18.

PRINCIPAL BUILDING

Although the core of the house is of 1660-9 Nichols (quoted in VCH) says Langton Hall (listed grade II) was begun in 1613. It is largely of ironstone, with limestone ashlar dressings. The main entrance is in the east side, and the main C18 garden front, of five bays and two-and-a-half storeys, to the south. Although the Hall is of several different periods it has a superficial unity, provided by its gothick windows and battlemented parapet, part of a modernization of c 1802 for the Rev Ord. Various additions are of 1902.

North of the Hall is a stables courtyard (listed grade II) of the mid C18 with later additions. In the 1990s this was converted to residential use, at the same time several new houses being erected to the north of this and the kitchen garden and the Hall divided (1998) into several independent dwellings.

GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS

The main garden lies to the south of the Hall. Running across the front of the building is a broad, low, gravelled terrace, at the east end of which is a C19 stone exedra seat. The garden comprises a lawn edged to east and west with clipped holly, box and yew. Originally the lawn looked south down the south avenue, but the view is now blocked by C20 coniferous planting along the bottom (south) of the garden. West of the lawn, and extending up the west side of the Hall, is a more informal lawn with mature specimen trees. Statuary and urns mentioned in the first edition of the Register were not in place in 1998 as redevelopment took place.

PARK

The park extends principally east and west of the Hall, and is permanent pasture with some mature specimen trees, some coniferous. Some 250m west of the Hall is a sports pitch. The main features of the park in the C19 and early C20 were three avenues radiating from the Hall: to the north-east, aligned on Church Langton church, to the east, and to the south. A 100m long section of the east avenue still stands, west of the road to Church Langton, as does a section of the south end of the south avenue.

The park is undocumented until the later C18. The estate is thought to have been landscaped by the Rev William Hanbury (1725-78), incumbent of Church Langton from 1753.

KITCHEN GARDEN

The roughly octagonal, brick-walled kitchen garden, 60m in diameter, lies immediately north-west of the stables courtyard. It is probably of the early C19. In 1998 the interior was overgrown and contained one free-standing greenhouse, of c 1900.

REFERENCES

J H Hill, History of the Parish of Langton (1867)

The Victoria History of the County of Leicestershire 5, (1964), pp 195-8

Maps

OS 6" to 1 mile: Leicestershire sheet 45 NE, 1st edition 1891; 2nd edition published 1904; 1930 edition

OS 6" to 1 mile: Leicestershire sheet 45 SE, 1st edition 1891; 2nd edition published 1904; 1930 edition

OS 25" to 1 mile: Leicestershire sheet 45.8, 1st edition 1886; sheet 45.12, 2nd edition published 1904

Description written: April 1998

Edited: July 1999

Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
Avenue
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • West Langton
History

Detailed History

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list

HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT

The West Langton Hall estate was put together in the late 16th and early 17th centuries following the purchase in 1547 of the manor of West Langton by Robert Strelley (died 1554), the Crown's bailiff for the manor of Market Harborough, from the Langtons. Strelley's kinsman Thomas Staveley (died 1582) was succeeded as owner by his son Thomas (died 1631), who is believed to have rebuilt the Hall in the early 17th century. His granddaughter Mary (died 1689), who inherited in 1655, was succeeded by her granddaughter Elizabeth Stanton, wife of Sir Gilbert Pickering Baronet (died 1736). Their daughter Frances (died 1766) devised the estate to her cousin Mrs Anne Ord, who was succeeded by her son the Rev James Ord (1759-1843). The Ords retained ownership until around 1873 when the estate was sold to Edward Warner (died 1894) of Quorndon Hall. The Warners sold the estate in 1912, and it was subsequently divided up. The Hall and park remain (1998) in private hands.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact
References

References