The Kymin, Monmouth 1985

Wales

Brief Description

The Kymin is a wooded hill to the east of Monmouth with panoramic views to the west. There are two buildings on the summit, a late-18th-century belvedere and an early-19th-century naval monument. The hill was landscaped with woodland paths leading to viewpoints in the late-18th century.

History

The Kymin was frequented by the Monmouth Picnic Club in the late-18th century. The members of the club built the belvedere as a banqueting house. During the 19th century the site was used as a showground, for recreation and for celebrations.

Visitor Facilities

The grounds and naval temple are open as a public park. The Round House has restricted opening times. For details, see http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kymin/opening-times/ More information
Features
  • Belvedere
  • Description: The Round House is a two storey castellated belvedere, positioned to take advantage of the views and used originally as a banqueting house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Description: The Naval Temple is a classical building topped with an arch and a statue of Britannia. It was dedicated as a commemorative monument to naval personnel.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The grounds and naval temple are open as a public park. The Round House has restricted opening times. For details, see http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kymin/opening-times/

Directions

For directions, see http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kymin/how-to-get-here/
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

0844 800 1895

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The National Trust

References

References