Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Highmeadow House


On the evidence of an aerial photograph taken in 1988, there are extensive gardens on the site of the former Highmeadow House, now part of Highmeadow Farm.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

The Highmeadow estate was built up by the Hall family especially during the 16th and early 17th centuries. Highmeadow House was built by Henry Benedict Hall in 1672 and replaced the original house, which was shown on the 1608 map, to the east of the new house. The Hall family were extensive land and mine owners and Henry was High Sheriff of Gloucestershire under James II in 1687 and a patron of Newland Church from 1670 to 1679. The house is depicted, in pen and ink drawings, as large with a railed forecourt with circular carriage drive and it would seem logical for there to have been large gardens around the house. The house was demolished in 1805 and only grassy mounds are left. The enclosure map dating back to 1812/25 shows an enclosure 'slopes & site of old mansion' and this site is recorded at having some 11 acres (about 4.5 hectares) plus and again in the sale particulars of 1824 the site of the 'Old Mansion' is recorded as some 13 acres (about 5.3 hectares). A report carried out in 1988 for the Western Branch of the Historic Buildings Division has an aerial photograph of the site which appears to show extensive gardens.

Features & Designations


  • The National Heritage List for England: Register of Parks and Gardens

  • Grade: II
  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Reference: Old Farm House Barn
  • Grade: II


  • Earthwork
  • Description: Earthwork remains of the old mansion.
Key Information





Principal Building

Domestic / Residential


Part: ground/below ground level remains

Civil Parish





  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust