The site was eventually laid out as a recreation ground in 1965 within the GLC's Banner Street estate. In one corner is a playground and small enclosed garden of the Quakers' Horticultural Project, which runs horticultural therapy workshops. The garden has impressive mature plane trees and a few monuments. It has been substantially re-landscaped with new planting and seating in recent years.
Quaker Gardens is all that remains of the former burial ground of the Society of Friends, or Quakers, on a site once part of Bunhill Fields that the Society purchased in 1661. The land was subsequently extended and thousands of Friends were buried here including George Fox, the Founder of the Society (d.1690). A school was built here in 1840 and in the corner of the garden is what remains of the Society’s Memorial Buildings, built in 1881. All but one wing of the building was demolished as a result of WWII bombing. The burial ground was closed in 1855 and in 1880 the Metropolitan Board of Works compulsorily purchased some of the land.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
London Parks and Gardens Trust