King George V Playing Field, Sittingbourne 1942

Sittingbourne, England, Kent, Swale

Brief Description

King George V Playing Field is a public park and playing fields of 3.5 hectares (8 acres) opened in 1937. The site contains sports pitches, gardens and a play area.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

Lime trees, chestnuts, oaks and sycamores date from the earlier parkland, with Scots pine to the east and a more recent chestnut avenue crossing the park. There is good access from the surrounding residential area to the new brightly coloured play equipment at the children's playground.
Features
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The handsome redbrick Georgian coach-house and stables survive as the club-house and pavilion.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Lime trees, chestnuts, oaks and sycamores date from the earlier parkland.
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: There is a more recent chestnut avenue crossing the park.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
History

Detailed History

King George V Playing Field, originally part of the grounds of Gore Court was acquired by Sittingbourne and Milton UDC and opened as a public playing field in 1937. The late 18th-century mansion was demolished in 1926 but the handsome redbrick Georgian coach-house and stables survive as the club-house and pavilion.
References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust