Johnson House Gardens, Sittingbourne 1871

Sittingbourne, England, Kent, Swale

Brief Description

Johnson House Gardens are informal gardens of unknown size containing meandering paths and flowering trees. The site was given to the town in 1941.

History

Johnson House and Gardens on Burley Road, were given to Sittingbourne in memory of Mrs Eveline Elizabeth Johnson by members of her family in 1941.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

The informal character of the undulating ground with meandering paths shaded by deciduous and flowering trees, and groups of shrubs giving cover to many garden birds, brings great pleasure to this neighbourhood of terrace housing.

A pious Victorian water trough with the inscription ‘Everyone of us must give account of himself to God' asserts the right of redundant street furniture to a haven in a municipal garden.

Features

Style

  • Informal
  • Container
  • Description: Water trough.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust