A private garden laid out in 1938 by Dr Hilary Taylor associated with a Neo-classical style house of the same period. The garden is divided into rooms or compartments set at different levels and includes dahlia's, a sunken rose garden, Yew topiary and tall beech hedges.
Detailed DescriptionImmediately to the south of the house is a lawn bounded by raised semi-circular flower beds, planted to display dahlias and backed by yew hedges. These screen but give access to a sunken rose garden, also enclosed by tall beech hedges. The main vista is terminated by topiary yew.
There is gradation of colour in both flower gardens; the dahlia blooms shade from pinks at either ends through reds to bronze and yellow in the centre. The garden has been well maintained without losing Willmer's original design intentions.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryIn 1938 Dr. Hilary Taylor, Fellow of Clare College, built a detached residence in the Neo-Georgian style and laid out a garden on the edge of the glacial moraine, which well marks the limit of the Gipping Glaciation. This well drained site is divided by gravel and heavy yellow clay.
Taylor asked his colleague Professor Nevill Willmer, also a Fellow of Clare, to advise on the layout of the garden on a flat field. Willmer's concept of garden design had been illustrated in Clare Fellows' garden and he set about planning a series of rooms at different levels.
- pp 41-42The Gardens of Cambridgeshire