Remaining features from the previous estates include drives and lodges. The site is now mainly in use for playing fields, with some areas of self-sown woodlands. Some ornamental planting has also survived.
From at least the C16th the area consisted of parkland with a few large houses and farmland. The Harvington Estate, as it has been known since 1964, was formed from land belonging to Eden Farm, built c.1834, and to three houses built from 1871: Harvington, Homewood and Chalfont. The land was acquired at various dates from 1946 onwards and the estate was unified by Beckenham Council in 1964 and given to the people of Beckenham as a public area for sport and recreation as Harvington Sports Ground. The four lodges that once served the houses remained although the houses were demolished.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Eden Park c500m to south. Bus: 162, 194, 352, 358.
London Parks and Gardens Trust