Gregynog 1531

Tregynon, Wales

Brief Description

Extensive ornamental woodland is incorporated into the garden and the formal gardens included a parterre in the late-19th century. The wooded park contains commercial plantations as well as part of the ancient Great Wood of Tregynon.The site is open for a variety of conferences, music festivals and corporate events.

History

Gregynog is an ancient site and there is a record of a house there in the 12th century.William Emes produced proposals for the garden in the late-18th century, some of which were carried out. Henry Avray Tipping worked on the gardens in the early-20th century and Dame Sylvia Crowe in the late-20th century.The current house was rebuilt twice in the 19th century. In 1920 it became the home of the artistic patrons Gwendoline and Margaret Davies, who bequeathed it to the University of Wales in 1960.

Visitor Facilities

The Hall is only open for guided tours and heritage days, but the gardens are open to the public all year round. Admission is £3 for adults and information on opening times can be obtained from 01686 650224.
Features
  • Hedge
  • Description: A crenellated golden yew hedge about 40 metres long
Topiary
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The Hall is only open for guided tours and heritage days, but the gardens are open to the public all year round. Admission is £3 for adults and information on opening times can be obtained from 01686 650224.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Tregynon
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The University of Wales

References

References