Green Beach 1521

Clevedon, England

Pgds 20130307 122532 Cdon Band Stand 040

Brief Description

Green Beach is a late-19th-century municipal park.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Detailed Description

Green Beach is a late-19th-century municipal park on open ground above the sea with a bandstand, a promenade, lawns and flower beds. There are holm oaks planted and steps down to rocks. The listed bandstand, dated 1887, is an octagonal openwork wooden structure with pyramidal tile roof, coved eaves with painted boards showing sunflowers and musical instruments. Circular metal columns with foliage capitals and braces support the roof. Boarded front to platform rests on a rusticated stone plinth.

The listed square stone fountain is dated 1883. Tapering pyramidal top with foliage frieze. Pointed arches with crocketed gablets resting on coloured shafts with crocket capitals to each of the 4 sides. Drinking trough facing the road with inscription above :- "A righteous Man Regardeth the Life of his Beast, But the Tender Mercies of the Wicked are Cruel".

Description checked by Avon Gardens Trust 22/5/2012.

Features
  • Bandstand
  • Description: The listed bandstand was erected in 1887 in memory of Anne Newman by her husband.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drinking Fountain
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Clevedon
Contact
References

Contributors

  • Avon Gardens Trust