Farringford is an early 19th century house and was the home of Alfred, Lord Tennyson from 1853. The grounds, which occupy about 13.2 hectares, retain many original features. There are some self-catering holiday cottages on the site.
Farringford Park lies partly within the Pound Green Conservation Area, and within the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
The house is situated in a semi-rural and agricultural setting beneath chalk downland, with extensive views to the south over Freshwater Bay.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Farringford Hill was described and illustrated as 'a newly erected edifice - the residence of Mr Rushworth' in Cooke's 'Tour of the Isle of Wight', 1808.
The house was built by John Rushworth in 1806, with alterations in 1810 and later. It was the home of Alfred, Lord Tennyson from 1853 until his death in 1892. Farringford was a hotel for many years from the 1940s, but is now a private house.
- Features & Designations
English Landscape Garden
- Key Information
Part: standing remains
Open to the public
Isle of Wight Gardens Trust