Ryecroft Hall 6436

Tameside, Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

Ryecroft Hall is a hall in grounds to the south of Manchester Road. Slate Lane, with the Manchester and Ashton-under-Lyne Canal lies to the south. There were open fields to the east, and one dwelling to the west. There was a pleasure ground with a path system. The eastern boundary was defined by trees. Other features included a productive garden with a lodge backing on to Slate Lane. The design was simplified by 1895, but the area was extended to meet the canal to the south. The London & North Western Railway branch line to Ashton was close to the eastern boundary. The site remains extant. The hall is now used as council offices. Houses have been built along the Slade Lane boundary. There has also been some building at the north-east corner of the site, but otherwise the site remains much as described.

Visitor Facilities

The principal building is now council offices, and the surrounding park is open for general public use. Please see: http://www.tameside.gov.uk/parks/ryecroft
Features
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Description: The hall was built around 1860 in mixture of Tudor and Gothic styles. It was built for Abel Buckley, owner of the Ryecroft cotton mills at Ashton-under-Lyne.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There is a lodge backing on to Slate Lane.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The principal building is now council offices, and the surrounding park is open for general public use. Please see: http://www.tameside.gov.uk/parks/ryecroft
History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit