The original layout included lime and horse chestnut trees planted on the lawn, open lawns with an axial walk, and floral displays. The park abuts Elthorne Waterside on the River Brent, which was created in the 1970s and is managed for nature conservation.
By the early-20th century Hanwell's population had rapidly grown and Hanwell UDC, keen to make provision for public open space, approached the owner of Osterley Park, Lord Jersey in 1907. He offered a 7.5 acre site, then leased out. Due to the pressing need for a place for children to play the Council requested temporary use of the site while negotiations were in progress, to which Lord Jersey agreed. Elthorne Park was officially opened on 11 June 1910 by Lady Jersey accompanied by her son Lord Villiers. Among its facilities were a bandstand that remains today and a drinking fountain.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Boston Manor (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: E8.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)