The site has views towards the Wharncliffe Viaduct, built by Brunel in 1836/7. A line of mature trees marks its northern boundary with Church Road and an avenue of mature horse chestnut trees crosses the ground along the diagonal path from the parish church.
Churchfields Recreation Ground was former glebe lands for St Mary's Church Hanwell. The land was owned by Sir Montagu Sharpe of Brent Lodge when it was purchased in 1898 by the local council for public open space. In 1902 the purchase of the Rector's Glebe next to the recreation ground completed the open space and by then fencing and path repair had been carried out, seating provided and two 'handsome fountains' erected. Close to the centre of the recreation ground is a War Memorial erected by the Boy Scouts in 1919.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hanwell. Tube: Ealing Broadway (Central, District) then bus, Northfields (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: E1, E3, 83, 92, 195, 207, 282, 427, 607.
London Parks and Gardens Trust