The gardens are on the higher ground overlooking the parkland and river, either side of the main path on the east of the site, and provide the setting for the buildings and animal enclosures. The park became part of the wider Brent River Park in 1976.
Brent Lodge Park is on the site of the former landscape park of Brent Lodge, created by the Rector of Hanwell. He acquired the house in 1795 and enlarged it, created a new driveway and landscaped the grounds, building a cottage orné in the east. Owners in the 19th century added a walled garden, stable block, greenhouses and other outbuildings, and ornamental tree planting continued. It became the home of Sir Montagu Sharpe and his wife, who eventually sold the estate to Ealing Council in 1931. Brent Lodge Park was opened to the public and various recreational facilities have been added over the years, including Brent Lodge Animal Centre, which has developed from a small group of aviaries in the 1960s.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Animal Centre, daily 10.30am - 4pm (winter)/6pm (summer).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Animal Centre, daily 10.30am - 4pm (winter)/6pm (summer).
DirectionsRail: Hanwell. Tube: Ealing Broadway (Central, District) then bus, Northfields (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: E1, E3, 83, 92, 195, 207, 282, 427, 607.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)