Decker Hill 5325

Shifnal, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Decker Hill was surrounded by a landscape park by at least 1827, and probably even earlier. There were lodges, a temple, ornamental gardens, and hot houses.

History

Decker Hill was built around 1810, and the park was present from at least 1827. Since 1963, the hall has served as the home of Shifnal Golf Club, and the grounds have been re-landscaped into a golf course.

Detailed Description

By 1827, and probably from the time the house was built around 1810, Decker Hill was surrounded by a park. Two entrance lodges, both of around 1810, were built in a minimal neo-Classical style, and lay at the end of the east side of the house. About 350 metres west of the hall is a temple, also of about 1810. It is a circular neo-Classical building of stone, with a domed ashlar roof. On the south-east is a three-bay colonnade with unfluted Doric colums.

In the 19th century, Decker Hill's

excellent ornamental gardens, conservatories and hot houses, many introduced by

its owner Beriah Botfield, M.P., were favourably commented upon by guidebooks. There was a fine orangery in the 1830s. One

conservatory, with a triple-arched facade and a domed, glass roof, was said in

1910 to have a central revolving stand.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: The hall at Decker Hill is a fine Georgian country house, with its entrance flanked by two giant, unfluted Ionic columns. Since 1963, it has been the clubhouse of Shifnal Golf Club.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There were two entrance lodges to the east of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Doric Temple
  • Description: A circular, neo-Classical temple with a Doric colonnade lies 350 metres west of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orangery
  • Description: A fine orangery existed in the gardens from the 1830s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shifnal
References

References