Haughton Hall, Shropshire 6328

Shifnal, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Haughton Hall lies just north-west of Shifnal. The hall itself dates back to the early 18th century, but with early 19th-century additions.Cartographic study shows that in the 18th and 19th centuries, the grounds included an avenue, a fish pond, pleasure grounds, conservatories, hot houses and lodges.

Detailed Description

Haughton Hall lies just north-west of Shifnal and is a seven-bay, two-storey house of 1718 with wings of about 1820-30.

Features
  • Avenue
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Description: Serpentine pond, north of house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pleasance
  • Description: Pleasure grounds behind house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Lodges.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hothouse
  • Description: Several, for vines and frit.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Description: Several, for flowers and shrubs.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shifnal
History

Detailed History

In 1752, a straight, formal drive or avenue apparently crossed the Hall's grounds from west to east, the Hall lying immediately to its north. That drive survived in use east of the Hall in 1881. North of the hall was a serpentine fish pond, present by 1808. By 1827 the park was much as in 1881, with the main approaches from the west and south-east (both with lodges by 1881).

In 1858 it was noted that west of the house, and behind it, was a handsome and well laid out 'Policy or Pleasure ground', with conservatories for flowers and shrubs. Contiguous to those were extensive gardens with ranges of hot houses for vines and other fruit.

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References