Dean Castle 4192

Kilmarnock, Scotland

Brief Description

The country park associated with Dean Castle was created from the remnants of the designed landscape, probably originally laid out in the 17th century. It covers over 80 hectares and consists largely of mixed woodland. There is also a disused walled garden. The site has been developed with country park facilities such as a visitor centre, adventure playground and riding school.

History

Dean Castle was the home of the Boyd family from the mid-14th to the mid-18th century, when the castle was gutted by fire and the estate given up. There is a description of an established designed landscape before the fire of 1735 but later maps show the house in ruins and the landscape diminished. The castle was restored by the 8th Lord Howard de Walden from 1899. His family gifted the estate to the people of Kilmarnock in 1974, after which the landscape was developed as a country park.

Visitor Facilities

The country park is open daily throughout the year. For details see: http://www.deancastle.com/park/visit.asp
Features
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: A 14th-century castle restored in the late-19th century.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The country park is open daily throughout the year. For details see: http://www.deancastle.com/park/visit.asp

Directions

Access is from Dean Road at the north end of Kilmarnock. For details see: http://www.deancastle.com/content.asp?url=/images/local-maplarge.gif
References

References