Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Crumpsall Hall (also known as Crumpsall Park)5112


Crumpsall Hall, now known as Crumpsall Park, provides an open space for leisure and sport. It retains its original formal layout with lawns and trees.

Visitor Facilities

The park amenities include open grass areas for play, dog walking, cycling and sporting activities.

This small park, as shown on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map, was roughly square shaped and surrounded by fields.

Although the hall was demolished by the late-19th-century, the park retains an original Listed park keeper's lodge and a Scheduled obelisk monument, as well as the formal layout of the lawn, grassland, specimen trees and avenue of trees.

The park has been awarded Green Flag status. It is used by residents, local schools and patients from the hospital on the east park boundary for playing, dog walking, cycling and events.

The Friends of Crumpsall Park are active in supporting the park and its use.

  • Obelisk
  • Description: There is a Scheduled obelisk monument.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: The park retains an original Listed park keeper's lodge.
Tree Avenue, Specimen Tree
Visitor Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.Please see:
  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building
  • Scheduled Ancient Monument
  • Green Flag Award


The site was originally a private residence with grounds surrounded by open fields in 1848. Since 1890 the area has been used as an open space for a variety of activities for local residents.

Detailed History

The hall, which was originally timber framed, belonged to the Chetham family and then the Barlow family and is recorded on the 1848 Ordnance Survey map, It was subsequently demolished. The site taken over as a public park by Manchester Corporation in 1890.