Clowes Park (also known as Broughton Hall)6195

Salford, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Broughton Old Hall and park were bounded by Bury Old Road to the north and east and Manchester Road to the west. Broughton New Hall was also on the same site and associated with the Old Hall within a wooded area roughly central to the park. There was a large lake and boat house and a probable kitchen garden. The site survives in part. Remaining features include a lake and some open land, which survives as Clowes Park in the centre of the houses which now occupy the area.

History

The Old Hall was originally the home of the Clowes family. The Reverend John Clowes was responsible for the development of the park between 1811 and 1846 for villa residences for wealthy gentlemen. The nature of this development was a deliberate decision of John Clowes, who would only permit the development of large houses with gardens to the front and rear. The policy was abandoned on his death and the rest of the estate was given over to high density housing without gardens. John Clowes' orchid collection was removed to the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew on his death and was considered to be a more important collection than those at either Chatsworth or Sion House.

Features
Lake
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit