Cheveley Park 4123

Cheveley, England, Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Cheveley Park include enclosed gardens, terraces, manicured lawns, a stable yard and a pool.

History

Cheveley Park was created in the late-17th century as a private residence.

Visitor Facilities

The house and gardens are not open to visitors. However, there is a horse breeding business located on the property. Please view the website for more information. http://www.cheveleypark.co.uk/

Detailed Description

In a painting created in the late-17th century, Cheveley Park is depicted. To either side of the main entrance court are two enclosed gardens, one for flowers, the other for vegetables and fruit, both arranged formally. There is a further enclosed garden with four grass plats divided by paths with clipped trees around the walls. Some gardeners can be seen tending the grass. A wide grass terrace to the east of this enclosure gave fine views over the park.

To the other side of the house is the stable yard with a large circular brick-walled pool with a flight of steps down to the water. In 1775 a map for the Rt. Hon. Marquis of Granby by Thomas Warren shows the extent of the park with two rides lined with trees. Also shown are Castle Hill with a moat to the north-east and clumps of trees nearer the house.

By 1864 the property was owned by the Duke of Rutland and the park consisted of 120 hectares (300 acres) enclosed by a brick wall. Portions of the house were demolished, until in 1883 only a part was remaining for use as a shooting box and the main terrace was all that remained of the formal gardens.

In 1896 the park and house were bought by Col H. L. B. McCalmont who rebuilt the house and kept the terrace overlooking the park. McCalmont invested vast sums of money on the new house, enlarged the park to 280 hectares (700 acres), laid out a jumping course within the park and owned several racehorses.

The house was demolished in 1920 and today the park is divided into paddocks for racehorses. Part of the original park wall still remains along the east and south boundary. A tight clump of trees marks the location of Castle Hill.

Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Clump
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The house and gardens are not open to visitors. However, there is a horse breeding business located on the property. Please view the website for more information. http://www.cheveleypark.co.uk/
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cheveley
History

Detailed History

In 1681 Jan Siberechts painted a view of Cheveley Park and the garden enclosures around the house when Lord Dover owned the estate. The estate was used as a private residence until 1920, when the house was demolished.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust