In the late-19th century the site had gardens, trees, pasture and woods. A small area of ornamental planting remains, but local development has encroached on the outskirts of the estate.
The house was built by William Arbuthnot in 1874. Pike (1910) notes the house as Plaw Hatch and states it was still the residence of Mr Arbuthnot. In the early-1920s the house was owned by Sir Robert Kiddersley and the garden was designed by Walter Godfrey. The estate is shown on Ordnance Survey maps of 1961 and 1996.
- House (featured building)
- Description: The house was built by William Arbuthnot.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- East Grinstead
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Plawhatch Hall
- Pike, W.T. Sussex in the twentieth century : contemporary biographies (Brighton: Pike, 1910)Sussex in the twentieth century : contemporary biographies
Sussex Gardens Trust