Cathays Park 732

Cardiff, Wales

Brief Description

The site consists of three garden areas - Alexandra Gardens, Gorsedd Gardens and Friary Gardens.

History

The land was purchased in 1897. Alexandra Gardens was planted in 1903.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Detailed Description

The site consists of three garden areas - Alexandra Gardens, Gorsedd Gardens and Friary Gardens. Each was an integral part of the original Edwardian layout of Cathays Park, Each has its own very different character, and each retains its original layout.

The setting of these gardens is a group of public buildings and its attendant tree-lined spacious roads, the layout of which reflects the underlying earlier park. The war memorial in Alexandra Gardens is of exceptional quality and forms an imposing focal point for the gardens. The 'Dutch Garden' of Friary Gardens survives in excellent condition.

Features
  • War Memorial
  • Description: Welsh National War Memorial.
  • Statue
  • Description: Statue of Lord Aberdare.
  • Statue
  • Description: Statue of Third Marquis of Bute.
  • Statue
  • Description: Statue of David Lloyd George.
  • Statue
  • Description: Statue of John Cory.
  • Statue
  • Description: Statue of Lord Ninian Edward Crichton Stuart.
  • Statue
  • Description: Statue of Godfrey, first Viscount Tredegar.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Castle
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Cathays Park

Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Cardiff Council

    Heath Park, King George V Drive, Cardiff, CF14 4EP
References

References