Grange Gardens 8306

Cardiff, Wales

Brief Description

Grange Gardens is a small urban park which serves the Grangetown area of Cardiff.

History

The area was raised with suitable 'scavenged' material and the park opened in 1895. It included a bandstand and park attendant's hut, which is still extant.

Terrain

Flat

Detailed Description

The park is five sided, being bounded by Corporation Road to the north-east, Pentrebane Street to the north, Grange Gardens to the west, St Fagans Street to the south and Holmesdale Street to the south-east. Within the park of 1.2 hectares there is a brick-built Victorian park keeper's hut dated 1894, a bandstand (replica), a fountain canopy (replica), a tree sculpture, a bowling green (disused) with associated clubhouse (re-use under consideration), children's play area, adult fitness equipment and a floodlit area with goal ends, basketball posts and dugout shelters.
Features
  • War Memorial
  • Description: Bronze statue on Portland stone plinth.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sculpture
  • Description: Cherry tree sculpture by Alun Griffiths of Aberystwyth.
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Rustic shelter at corner of Corporation Road and Holmesdale Street.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Directions

Towards southern end of Corporation Road, Grangetown. Some street parking available, bus route 8 Cardiff City Centre to Cardiff Bay.
History

Detailed History

Grange Gardens is a small urban park created on land donated by Lord Windsor and Lord Bute. The area was raised with suitable 'scavenged' material and the park opened in 1895. It included a bandstand and park attendant's hut, which is still extant. The original bandstand is believed to have been removed during World War 2. A bowling green and tennis courts were constructed and opened in 1906. The area formerly occupied by the tennis courts in now a floodlit play area. In 1909 a drinking fountain was installed in memory of Louis Samuel and was also probably removed during World War 2. By the end of World War 1 a children's playground had been added. A war memorial (Grade II listed) was officially unveiled on the 7th July 1921. The park was awarded Heritage Lottery funding for restoration works which were completed in 2000 and included installation of replicas of the bandstand and the fountain canopy. A rustic shelter (Grade II listed), which apparently was built in the early 1920s, is to be found on the corner of Corporation Road and Holmesdale Street, the entrance being outside the park enclosure.
Associated People

People associated to Grange Gardens

References

References

Contributors

  • Mike Statham

    1