Numerous projects have been undertaken, including planting thousands of trees, provision of sports facilities, greening the canal route and creation of the lake. Within the park are the former Chumleigh Gardens Almshouses, which now house a café, meeting rooms as well as a World Garden and an English Garden.
Work began after World War 2 to provide the new public space that eventually became Burgess Park. It was the result of initiatives such as the Abercrombie Plan of 1943 and was created by demolishing numerous houses, streets, churches and factories, and infilling the disused Grand Surrey Canal. Existing green spaces were incorporated into the new North Camberwell Open Space, which by 1965 covered some 16 hectares. It was named Burgess Park in 1973 after Alderman Jessie Burgess, first lady Mayor of Camberwell. The fragmented open spaces were consolidated from 1982 onwards and in 1985/6 Southwark Council took over responsibility and began purchasing remaining properties and clearing the site, a process completed in 1995.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of much of the park is unrestricted (area around lake 7.30am - sunset; Chumleigh Gardens (check opening times).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of much of the park is unrestricted (area around lake 7.30am - sunset; Chumleigh Gardens (check opening times).
DirectionsTube/Rail: Elephant and Castle (Northern, Bakerloo) then bus. Bus: 12, 35, 40, 42, 45, 53, 63, 68, 78, 168, 172, 343, 363, 468, 453, 468
Official WebsiteClick Here