Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Buntingsdale Hall


Buntingdale Hall, a great house of the early-18th century, is surrounded by extensive gardens and grounds. At various times the grounds have featured walled gardens, a kitchen garden, land laid to grass, ponds, and woodland (List of Historic Buildings: North Shropshire District 1987, 96-9; O.S. 6\", XVI.NW 1888).

The main garden retaining wall, with an overlook of the pond, lies to the west of the house. This wall dates to around 1721, as does an ice-house which lies about 120 metres north-west of the hall. In the later 19th-century, the main approach to the house was from the north, where there was a lodge. On 19th-century maps, grounds laid to grass were on the east of the house, there were kitchen gardens to the north, a wooded area to the south, and a large fishpond with a boathouse to the west (O.S. 6", XVI.NW 1888; List of Historic Buildings: North Shropshire District 1987, 96-9).

In the early-18th century, the flowers planted by Bulkeley Mackworth in his garden were listed as: auricula, carnation, plyanthus, hollyhock, anenome, and ranunculus (Stamper 1996, 42).


Buntingsdale Hall was first built for the Mackworth family, of Derbyshire, around 1721, and the grounds were first laid out at much the same time. The ornamental pools now in the gardens were dug for clay to make the bricks from which the house is built. The estate eventually passed to the Tayleur family, who were cousins of the Mackworths. The hall was used by the RAF during World War 2, and by the Army in the 1970s. In the late-20th century the hall was converted into flats by property developers, but has since been bought by and restored by Mr. R. Mackworth, a descendent of the original owners.

Associated People
Features & Designations


  • The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building

  • Grade: II*


  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Buntingsdale Hall is primarily attributed to Francis Smith, who at least finished it, but it may have been begun by John Prince. The house is constructed of brick with stone dressings. It is of nine bays, plus an additional one of around 1860, in the same style as the original. The facade features giant composite pilasters, and the house features segmental headed windows. The entrance hall runs through both stories (Pevsner 1974, 90-91).
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information





Principal Building

Domestic / Residential





Open to the public


Civil Parish

Sutton upon Tern